The Boat Inn, Cromford


Location - The Boat Inn
Scarthin,
Cromford,
Matlock,
Derbyshire
DE4 3QF


Date of Visit - 25/03/2018


The Food

7 -Pickled Onion. A not unreasonable attempt at a pickled onion, and there were two of them, but there were issues.  The onion was a bit on the acidic, however they were both impossibly tough.  Flavor not too bad and good with the cheese, but just hard work.
8 -Pickle - Two varieties here, a Farmers Pickle (think Branston, but can't call it that, because it wasn't, but you know the stuff I mean) and a piccalilli . Both good, but alas in paper thingies, not china thingies.  Still, not pre-packed, as now for me, plastic is instant fail!
10 -Cheese / Ham - I do not think I have ever had so much cheese! Supposedly on a diet at the moment, and even after a 6 mile walk, I fear the cheese was my daily allowance of calories!  Not being one to give up on things, the diet can wait until another day, and I was a trooper with the cheese and saw it through to the end. There is a choice of Cheddar, Stilton, Ham, Goats cheese (I think - I might have imagined that, not a fan of the goat foods) or Brie.  I plumped for the Cheddar, and it arrived en-masse on an industrial scale, and it was very, very nice.  Not artisan, but definitely catering, however, very, very nice.
7 -Bread. Par baked baguette  I know I should be a snob about this, but often they're rather nice, hot and steamy inside, crusty and crisp on the outside.  This was not, but it was a long distance from bad, entirely presentable and acceptable.
1 -Spread (better be butter, or a choice).  Hmm.  It was what people call "Spread", or in old money Margarine.  Under the new scoring system, gets one point as in a paper thingy not a plastic thingy.  but spread......  It did though, to be fair, spread, and it wasn't offensive.
5 -Presentation - Oh, it was very, very nicely presented.  The food here is always excellent, and the scores above do not adequately represent this.  
5 -Salad, etc.  One of the freshest salads I have had for a while.  Really nice and ripe tomatoes, which is not easy in march!
3 -Originality.  OK, there wasn't anything imaginative about this, but just a really good, solid ploughmans. I have awarded extra points here for the cheese.  That's all.  There was at least 12 out of 10 points in cheese on the plate.  Hey, it's my scoring system, so I can cheat occasionally


Food total: 46

Beverages

10 - There is always a great range of local beers available here. Highly recommended. I have never been at lunch, so do not know what the tea situation is, although it's the sort of place where I expect they would russle up a good pot.

Drinks Total: 10

The venue

10 -Service. The service here is always exceptional and excellent, even when it is really busy it is walways under control and there seems to be a great many staff doing their thing.  Good communications between customer, bar and kitchen at all times.   
10 -Atmosphere.  The atmosphere is amazing.  A place where many tourists and visitors go to eat,  walkers pop in for a couple of pints,  yet also a truly local pub and the heart of the community, where all are made to feel welcome.
5 -Location. The location is beautiful, great area for walking and exploring.  THe pub is historic and quaint, with gardens and seating outside, a pond nearby, great views, and only a minutes walk from Scarthin books.  VISIT!
5 -Toilets.  Always clean, always functional.

Venue total: 30


Score: 86

Comments

Popular Posts