The Royal Oak, Wootton Rivers.


Location - The Royal Oak, Wootton Rivers. 
The Royal Oak, 
Wootton Rivers, 
Wiltshire SN8 4NQ


Date of Visit - 06/05/2018
UPDATE - Might have changed ownership, Lunch might not be available, Website not working, however, pub is still definitely open https://www.wiltshirelive.co.uk/whats-on/traditional-village-inn-royal-oak-8056208 


The Food

Ploughtmans Royal Oak Wootton Rivers


2 -Pickled Onion. Erm. Ahh. The onion.  There wasn't one!  There was a bit of pickled beetroot, that was actually very good, only it was just a slice.  I think that, because I love beetroot, good beetroot, they might have got away with this.  They didn't.  More beetroot! be brave!

2 -Pickle. This is not starting well.  Nice presentation, let down completely buy taste and texture. I think it might have been some sort of salsa, there was not enough acid really for it to be considered as a relish! Would have been a delight with a Chilli, but it didn't really work.

7 -Cheese / Ham. Things improve here!  The ham was heavenly.  It's nice to be able to say something good, as I know they are genuine people here, I have felt mean so far.  I cannot say that there was any particular local provenance to the Cheddar, but hey, even if it was from the supermarket, it tasted damned good. The Red Leicester was more of a cheese garnish. Be brave, go 50/50 with the cheese.  Did i mention that the ham was very good?  It was. Oh, I forgot to mention, the two cubes of cheese In the middle right of the picture, was actually butter.  In addition to the packet of butter,  I discovered this when I ate half of one.  Being an idiot, I did the same thing again later.

9 -Bread.  The bread was a mixed bag - but good. A bit of what I assume might have been a par baked baguette (it was fresh, thus tasty), I think a brioche roll, and some wholemeal bread that involved other things that was an absolute joy and a victory!  To have 100% of the wholemeal would have scored 100% - it was lovely.

4 -Spread. It was butter, but confusingly in two portions. If it was one or the other, as it confused me and I ate half a cube of butter thinking it might be soft cheese! It was like iron, but that was, to be fair, appropriate as it was very warm, and within minutes quickly heading towards a liquid state. 

4 -Presentation. Nice and tidy, properly arranged with thought. A nice touch was the salsa /pickle stuff being contained within a lettuce leaf, that was very inventive, and actually made me emotional with joy.  Work was put into this, and I applaud the builder of the dish. 

4 -Salad, etc. A good effort with the salad, however, it wasn't really there. I suspect here it was not the doing of the person who laboured over it, but rather what was available.  The leaves were quite bitter in general, the tomatoes cold and hard (although I was the first served, so later in service that may have been much better). There was no apple.  There was however Melon, which at first seemed like an intrusion, but I did thoroughly enjoy it!

5 -Originality. Apart from the surprise melon, not a lot going on here. It was a good, standard ploughman's, made with care.  Definitely worth having, but there it ends.  

Food total: 37

Ploughman's Lunch



Beverages
8 - Tea. It was luncheon, and I was on a walk.  The tea service was very nice,good sized and practical mug and plenty of milk in jug, A tea bag, but OK. I also had a Lime and Soda as the day was as hot as you like!  I have had beer there on another occasion, and it is usually good. Points only lost as I like a tea pot and loose tea.

Drinks Total: 8

The venue

10 -Service. The service was without fault from start to end.  Excelent on the bar, served quick and with all condiments delivered. Food served very quick, but then I did order at a very good time - I was destined to be busy shortly after......

10 -Atmosphere. A great place. Without wishing to alienate some good friends of mine it can tend towards the "Red trouser" and people being there because of where it is rather than what it is. Notwithstanding this, very welcoming to the standard tourist, walker or person in need of watering or nosebag.

5 -Location. Chocolate box. A beautiful place in a picturesque village in stunning countryside.

4 -Toilets. Good. Inside loo's very serviceable.  There is also an outside loo, which is very hand if outside or have digestive issues.


Venue total: 29


Score: 74

Comments

Popular Posts